Winter Furnace Check-up
December 5, 2016
Winter may have started but it’s not too late to make sure your furnace is prepared to last you all winter. Before the temperatures drop any lower, the most important thing to do is check that your furnace is operational, safe, and energy efficient. Don’t be left in the cold on the harshest days of winter because you didn’t properly check your furnace!
The easiest way to have your furnace inspected and fixed is to call a professional HVAC company. Superior Water & Air will perform a regular maintenance which includes:
- Furnace Clean
- Change the Filters
- Check for Leaks & Gases
- Check Furnace Ducts
- Ensure Operation & Efficiency
Although it’s recommended to schedule an annual service on your furnace there are ways to make sure your furnace doesn’t need any additional work and runs smoothly. Here are a few maintenance tips you can do to prepare your furnace for winter.
- Change the furnace filters regularly. Some suggest every three months; others suggest monthly. At least take a look at the filter after 30 days of operation. You’ll be able to tell if it needs to be changed. If your filter still looks pretty good, you can put off changing it.
- Stock up on filters during the warmer months. You often can find a bargain on furnace filters and other winter items during those hot summer months.
- Remove any items you have stored near the furnace, particularly anything that is likely to catch fire. Also remove any household items that are suddenly sitting on top of or in front of your air ducts and return vents.
- If you have a gas furnace, contact your gas company and have them fill ‘er up. Gas is certainly much cheaper to buy during the summer than in the middle of a January cold spell.
- If you have hot-water radiator(s), bleed the valves. Open the valves slightly and close them again when water starts to appear.
After scheduling your maintenance and performing these basic maintenance tasks on your own you can have peace of mind knowing your furnace will last you the entire winter season. If you do find yourself in a winter jam or need to schedule your annual service contact Superior Water & Air at 801-312-8143 or schedule service online.